[Bf-docboard] Are some long held conventions abandonned...

Jean Montambeault iaminnocent at videotron.ca
Sat Jul 1 17:17:50 CEST 2006

Matt Ebb wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> Yes, it's me who added the new key template style, it's actually part
> of a larger project that I wrote about on this mailing list a week or
> so ago. (
> http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Broken/SummerOfDocs2006Restructure
> )

I've followed that effort as well as I could since Glen Moyes
proposition in this list at least a year ago it seems.
I like the idea of bringing some order to the documentation but I it
like even better that it'll simplify the life of the writers.
A suggestion maybe : add a section with the python API functions,
methods and attributes relevant to the subject at hand. Nothing too
elaborate just something that links to the API documentation for
example. We should try to demystify the use of Python in Blender. It is
my hope that after stivs BSoD the application of short Python scripts
will become more common : it certainly isn't harder to use than POV-Ray
SDL and real people use that all the time.
Too bad that there is no WYSIWYG tool for editing the pages of the wiki,
not for the sake of simplicity, although I am a fierce proponent of
simplicity and not one to believe that a writer has too "proove"
him/herself by passing some sort of coding ritual, but because it would
be the best way to ensure that the templates are put in application each
and every time and without errors.

> usage of hotkey template within the documentation would be much
> appreciated!

Will do : I'll first get up-to-date with the editing guidelines and then
I will edit the pages as I read them.

> Actually for that you're better off using the Template {{SAK|A}}.
> There are a bunch of different templates to use for various different
> keys, modifiers and mouse buttons, and it's better if they can be
> used. There is a list of them here:
>
> http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta/Templates#Interface_Templates
>
> Also, it's more readable to use Title Case and not UPPERCASE on the
> keys, which is done automatically in the templates.

OK, I've applied these templates to
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartI/Interface/Keyboard_and_Mouse#Keyboard_and_mouse
Having to write "UP ARROW", "DOWN ARROW", "LEFT... does not fit with the
keyboard keys metaphor. I found the left and right arrows characters,
not the most legible but at least they scale with the font size set into
the reader's browser ; the up and down arrows are missing so my hack is
even less of a solution.

> I've lessened the padding around the text in the keys slightly so
> they're not so large. Fits a bit more nicely with the text now.

Well it is as good at it will get and I get my vote FWIW

Thanks for the answer Matt and best success with your project(s).

Jean