[Bf-docboard] Re: Re: Visual Video Documentation

Glen Moyes metsys at icubenetwork.com
Tue Jan 11 06:08:21 CET 2005

Well, I'll tell you what my final goal is with the work I've been doing
with my video tutorials.

I am convinced that when people want to learn they are more interested
in the topic than in the form it comes in (text documentation, tutorial
with pictures, video tutorial, sample blender files, etc.) After they
have found where to get the information on what they are learning then
they might find that a video tutorial would be more helpful to learn
animation, or maybe they just need to see a sample .blend file of what
someone else has done.

What I would like to do is to combine the documentation project, the
tutorial and video tutorial sections of the web page into one entity.
They all have the same purpose in mind; teaching Blender. It's just a
host to different methods. Instead, you search by topic (and the way the
documentation project is organized is fine), then you can see the
manual, any number of video tutorials or what have you. It's all right
there. You'll also be able to search by type of media as well, which
means that this will likely be a database or something that will use a
lot of "site items" as they are called in the content management system.

In answer to your question, yes, I would like to see this in conjunction
with the online documentation (see above), that's why the tutorials are
so very similar to the documentation, and that the collection is
organized the way it is. Of course combining all these projects is a
huge change to the way things are now and it would take everyone a lot
of time to do. I still haven't gotten any responses about this idea from
last time I posted it on the mailing list <ackem>. However I fell
strongly that it would be beneficial and I'd like to see it happen. If
it does it will probably happen when we merge the www.blender.org and
www.blender3d.org sites together.

You can see what I have finished here
[http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Video_Tutorials.396.0.html] along with
GreyBeard's tutorials.

As for codecs, Flash and other video codecs are very different. You
won't get the same results (or maybe even the same learning experience).
You'll have a hard time showing a good walk cycle in Flash (at least
with the tools that I'm familiar with when it comes to making video
tutorials as a .swf). You can imbed video into a Flash file but I think
you actually have to use Macromedia Flash or some other program that
costs more than $200. Also keep in mind that even 3DBuzz.com is using
XviD for their video tutorials. Of course the problem with just about
any codec is that not everyone can play them right away. The most
compatible codec is MPEG1 since QuickTime, Windows Media Player, and
most Linux media players can open them. However the quality is not
nearly as good as MPEG4 based codecs, and there for sizes will be
larger. Besides, it takes just as much effort for people to install the
On2 codec as it would be to install the XviD codec or even VLC since
neither of those come stock with any operating system. Choosing just one
codec for the community to use is difficult because they may not have
the software to make files in those codecs. For example I'll probably
end up adding a RealMedia video soon, just because that's what the guy
decided was best to use due to his capture software or otherwise. Right
now the tutorial collection is just a place for community made
tutorials. I think some official ones would be nice :).

In the future I'd like to put these tutorials onto a DVD/CD. We could
put the community ones in their native formats on a data CD so that
people won't have to download them. However I'm looking towards making
an actual DVD Video disc (now talk about compatibility). I have recently
figured out how to make the videos zoom in, pan, scan, and include the
over scan areas and then output to NTSC and PAL  so that the videos will
be formated for TV viewing. Not surprisingly the post processing
involves using Blender to get these compatible for TV, imagine that :).
I'll post a link to a proof of concept when it's done.

- Glen