[Bf-docboard] Blender 2.40 QuickStart Guide (FINAL)

Frédéric van der Essen fred at mentalwarp.com
Thu Dec 22 21:57:53 CET 2005

Pierre-Luc Auclair a écrit :

> Forget these links: get the latest version on the wiki:
> http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Image:Blender_2.40_QuickStart.pdf
>
> Pierre-Luc Auclair wrote:
>
>> I have updated my version
>> http://www.heliosmulti.com/blender/Blender_2.40_QuickStart_Orange.pdf
>> or http://heliosmulti.com/blender/Blender_2.40_QuickStart_Orange.pdf
>> <http://heliosmulti.com/blender/Blender_2.40_QuickStart_Orange.pdf>
>> (I have some minor domain propagation problems) if it doesn't work
>> try reloading a few seconds-minutes after.
>> --
>> If your viewer is compatible with PDF1.4 there should be no problem.

Still have ugly brown square instead of cute shadow. I think that linux
pdf viewers doesn't support "shadows"

>> When I talked to you on IRC I think we both agreed that your version
>> had several kerning errors. As I reworked it, I discovered a few
>> incosistencies in your typography and illustrations, a few errors,
>> edited some parts (excessive use of "You can"), and added some stuff
>> that was missing in the layers section.
>>
>> The main change is not the design (it's mostly the same), but the
>> overall feel is, IMO, more polished. (Don't take personal, it's
>> really not what I want.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pierre-Luc

I'm very glad about the correction of typos, wording, errors, eccessive
"You can", bad kerning, etc... This is correcting mistakes, and it's
good. What i'm not sure, and i would like comment from other people, as
i'm not neutral on this, is that the new designs also make two type of
cosmetical changes :

the first are just for sake of making things more "shining", not to make
that document easier to understand. what i had in mind when i made this
document is something really minimalist in colors and shape so that the
user is attracted by the content, not by two big orange bars.

Blender logo colors are made to catch the eye they are 100% saturated.
IMO they don't fit an educative document. If you look at colors i used,
they are only saturated on essential information. The poor user is
already having headache figuring how that crazy blender thing is
working. so we should make the guide look calm and empty.

The more we add to this document, the less effective it will be.
I'm not even sure if the blender logo fits in there, the blender logo is
very pretty but it's not a reason to put it everywhere. The user is well
aware that he is using blender and not 3Dmax ( or else he/she will have
some problems :S ).

In one sentence, this guide should be designed as an educative document,
not as a marketting brochure.

the second type of cosmetic changes just are changes that i don't
understand since they don't make it prettier, nor more understandable.
(like the 3rd paragraph)

A More earth to earth issues are that the new version is twice as heavy
as the previous one.