[Bf-docboard] Blender screen captures on Mac OS X (Summary)

Mike Wirth bf-docboard@blender.org
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:27:56 -0700

Thanks to Christian, Carsten and Jasper for suggestions on screen
captures on Mac OS X.

After a bit of testing, I've confirmed that all of the
"window"-related (as opposed to "rectangular selection") methods
don't work.  (Probably has to do with how Blender windows are coded
on Mac OS X.)

Here's a summary:

Grab utility (app):
1. Can't be started from within Blender -- Services | Grab | etc.
menu selections are disabled.  Start Grab and make a command
selection outside Blender, then switch to Blender.
2. Screen, Selection and Timed Screen options work, producing a tiff file.

Native Mac OS X screenshots:
1. Shift-cmd-3 -- takes a picture of the whole screen, works.
2. Shift-cmd-4 & drag a rect -- takes a picture of the selected area.
3. Shift-cmd-4 & space & click on a window -- should take a picture
of the window, but for Blender produces a blank image.
4. All produce PDF files (probably containing tiff or jpeg images)

Blender image capture:
1. Control-F3 does nothing (in Blender -- switches to the Mac Finder.
Keystroke probably captured by Mac OS X.  Expose settings affect how
F9, F10 and F11 are interpreted, but I don't know how to reset F3.)
2. Control-shift-F3 captures an image of the full Blender screen to a
jpeg file.

So it looks like I can capture full screen or the Blender screen to
tiff/PDF/jpeg and edit later.

Thanks,

Mike