[Bf-docboard] PDF (was: Simple request: CVS module name for Blender docs?)

Mike Wirth bf-docboard@blender.org
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:09:07 -0700

>  > 2) Is there any reason (technical or otherwise)
>>  not to make the snapshot of doc sources as they
>>  went to the printer available?
>Sure, technical, DTP people used InDesign or whatever, proprietary
>software... who would be interested in that?
>
>>And further, to
>>  compile and release a PDF of that snapshot?
>>  Note: It would be very useful to have a full PDF
>>  of the printed guide (as close as possible, e.g.,
>>  the same pagination) to refer to when dealing
>>  with problems in the printing of the guide.
>No way, unless some big DocBook guru
>writes a CSS & DTD for that :)

Actually, if the design house/publisher used InDesign (or comparable
tool), then it would be trivial for them to produce a PDF of the full
document.  In fact, they probably already did as an intermediate
production step.

With regard to revenue issues, how about confining the release of a
PDF copy to those who bought the book in hardcopy, especially the
(faulty :-) first printing?  That would be a very nice way to make
amends to the faithful first buyers (to whom a PDF version, with
legible figures would be especially valuable).  If you're worried
about ruining the market for the book, the PDF could be restricted by
Adobe's eBook technology (or similar).  Yes, I know, this is anathema
to the open source community, but you've already noted that the book
contains proprietary material, e.g., the design.

Also with respect to revenue for the Blender Foundation, a PDF online
version is another marketing opportunity.

If you're interested in pursuing this, I volunteer to work out the
technical details (having done a fair bit of work with Adobe Acrobat
and PDF, and even have friends on the Acrobat team at Adobe).

Mike