[Bf-docboard] Converting DocBook to HTML/PDF/...

Karsten Dambekalns bf-docboard@blender.org
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:35:32 +0100

On Mit, Jan 29, 2003 at 09:02:11 +0100, Stefano Selleri wrote:
> > Looking at the makefile in CVS the conversion is done with various
> > docbook2* commands.
> > I just get tons of errors.
>
> Karsten, I'm getting TONS of error too,
>
> here I attach my Makefile. only html conversion work...
>
> B@rt... I think we can upload this makefile too, if it works for someone
> else than me...

Well, it doesn't work for me :( I tried just the jade call with
adjusted paths, but... no success.

Following some more of the basic examples at DocBook's sf.net site, I
found out about SGML_CATALOG_FILE and was successful in compiling a
test SGML document. But still tons of errors for BlenderManual.xml

What works substantially better for me is
 xsltproc --catalogs \
    /usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/xhtml/docbook.xsl \
    BlenderManual.xml > html/index.html

It gives me just one notice about a link element that's not being
written.

AND xsltproc this way works for another DocBook XML document I'm
writing right now, which I *could* process with docbook2html. Strange
enough.

This produces one big HTML file though, I'll probably need some more
tweaking to make it emit chunked HTML.

What still bothers me is: In the makefiles there is no handling for
the graphics. But obviously there are images in the HTML docs
available at blender.org. How is this done? Is there some magic
configuration I'm missing, that moves images to the right place
automatically?

<wish>
Just write DocBook XML, and use docbook2* to generate results with all
additional file ending up in the right place. Without tweaking,
environment variables, ... Just like it works with LaTeX...
</wish>

All in all that XML/SGML processing and handling is still greek to
me. :/

Karsten