[Bf-docboard] [Fwd: Re: XFig license change]

Felix Rabe bf-docboard@blender.org
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 18:59:37 +0100

I just found that this message wasn't Cc:ed to here after setting up my
Moz. email filters.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: XFig license change
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:23:51 -0800
From: Brian V. Smith <xfigmail@epb1.lbl.gov>
To: Felix Rabe <xitnalta@web.de>

Hello,

I can't imagine why the FSF would consider it Non-Free Software since it is
by definition given away for free.
For many many years I just used the X Consortium copyright as a model
because
it seemed to work, but lately I thought that no one should profit from
selling xfig (standalone), especially since I am not the original
author, and
the original author once told me that he just didn't want it to be sold.
Since that copyright allowed selling the program I just removed that part.

Those are my thoughts :-)
I doubt that any publisher would want to sell an xfig manual since it has
been around for 15 years now and none has approached me thus far :-)

Best regards,
Brian Smith