[Bf-docboard] 3D Concepts & Fundamentals Rough Outline

Jason Oppel bf-docboard@blender.org
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 07:47:37 -0500

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said here. :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Heizer <alex@synchcorp.com>
To: bf-docboard@blender.org
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 21:33:39 -0600=20
Subject: Re: [Bf-docboard] 3D Concepts & Fundamentals Rough Outline

Jason Oppel wrote:

>Yes, limited space and the scope of the chapter is also a major concern of=
 mine as well.  Certainly one would be able to write a rather large book =
just on the topics I have listed in the first chapter.  The sections will=
 have to be *very* succinct and to the point.  We'll have to hit the high=
 points and gloss over other topics with a reference linking to the Found=
ation web site (or to material included on a CD that would come with the =
book) where one could learn more if they choose to.  This would serve to =
give the reader an understanding of 3D topics "a mile wide and an inch de=
ep" so to speak. I think a cursory understanding but sound grasp of basic=
 3D fundamentals is just about right when someone is first starting out. =
 If we find that we have too much content we could always trim things a b=
it and put them online (or on the CD) after we're through editing.

I think with good judgment and running any documentation through a=20
personal filter of "If I were a newbie, would I understand this well=20
enough to use Blender effectively?", we can make sure that we will=20
include all that is needed, without any unnecessary fluff. :)

>I don't think we should discount the fact that Blender will likely get a v=
ery substantial amount of users who are completely new to 3D modeling.  T=
he fact that Blender is free, very capable and completely without annoyin=
g watermarks or other limited functionality will help attract more than i=
ts fair share of 3D newbies.  One of the really great things about Blende=
r (especially now that its Open Source) is that it opens the world of CGI=
 to the general computing public.  Let's try to make sure those gates are=
 swung open as wide as possible.  With that in mind wouldn't it be a good=
 idea to as much as possible not make any assumptions about the nature of=
 our users? :-)

Blender is the first and ONLY 3D program I've used (aside from a few
days of using AC3D last month), due to the fact that it is an awesome
program, that was easy to learn and use for me, a GREAT price, and it
was available for Linux. AND it was available 3 years ago, when I first
got started in CGI. On the Yahoo Blender group, there are questions from
newbies very frequently. One of the awesome things about Blender is the
community, and the amount of helpful people providing great information
on using and learning Blender. In the coming months, there are going to
be a lot more 3D and/or Blender newbies. Again, I think if people filter
their writing through the "If I were a newbie..." filter we can't go
wrong. :)

Alex