[Bf-docboard] Updated appendix_graphic_cards

Bart Veldhuizen bf-docboard@blender.org
04 Jan 2003 12:01:35 +0100

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 19:08, Alex Heizer wrote:
> I'm sure I'm kind of unique as far as this specific problem (at least
> as it pertains to blending). Most users will probably (hopefully?)
> have enough sense to buy matching video cards and monitors when
> setting up a multi-head system! :)
>
> I was thinking more of a section that gave more of a heads-up of
> potential problems. I've read about quite a few people that had video
> card problems on Windows in addition to X, and thought there might be
> some way of providing information of users' past experiences. Maybe
> not in this doc, but maybe somewhere. For myself, blender was the
> first program I noticed this behavior with (and only discovered it
> after upgrading to 2.25), and I didn't have a lot of trouble tracking
> down the cause, but there are a bunch of users that aren't very
> hardware savvy.
>
> I guess what I'm suggesting isn't as concrete an idea as "put my
> example on page 105 and we'll start a searchable online database!",
> it's more like, is this type of thing (goofy, out-of-the-ordinary
> video card problems) something we may want to address somewhere in
> blender's world of information? For the 3D neophyte, blender may be
> their first experience with 3D, so they may discover a video card
> problem they didn't realize they had. I'm not sure if there are any
> definitive Windows video HOWTOs that are the equivalent to the X
> hardware compatibility HOWTO on Unix.

I'm not sure about this yet.. We should take care that this document is
not going to become the 3D/Videocard howto for Platform X, right?
Actually, I'd be surprised if such documents weren't already available.
What about including some references to them in the troubleshooting
section?

Bart

--
Bart Veldhuizen <bart@vrotvrot.com>