[Bf-docboard] Introductory chapter

Jason Oppel bf-docboard@blender.org
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 10:15:31 -0500

Bart Veldhuizen wrote:

>Hi Colin,
>
>I think it's a wonderful text! Very pleasant to read and very accessible
>to someone who is new to 3D. If everyone agrees, I think that we can use
>this instead of the 'Quickstart' chapter that we have planned.

This looks like a very good beginning for the quickstart.

Colin:
I found your choice of wording very interesting as its quite close to
what I'm writing for the 3D Concepts and Fundamentals chapter. I think
you and I should consider working closely together and try to make sure
that our chapters use the same style/vocabulary and try not to cover too
much of the same material. This is especially important since both of
our chapters will be dealing with the same audience (3D newbies).

I'll show you an example...

You wrote...
"In the default main window, imagine yourself looking down at the tiled
floor of a large room. The lines and “tiles” are grid pattern that helps
you to create and position objects on the floor. The green and brown
lines are part of this grid. They mark the center of the floor. This
chapter will refer to the imaginary room as the /Blender universe/."

While in one part of my intro to 3D I've written:
"When working with Blender it's helpful to imagine that Blender's 3D
viewport is your window into the 3D universe you're creating. To
understand what you're seeing in this viewport you need to understand
some basic concepts regarding how all three dimensional objects are
represented in Blender..."

Lately I've been able to write a fair bit so I'll post what I have in a
few days once I fill in some of the gaps.

Colin:
If this is of interest to you just let me know and we can see about
merging/streamlining our efforts. It looks like you and I have pretty
similar writing style so it would be a pretty easy to do. If everyone
agrees to "Colin's Quickstart" (hey that has a nice ring to it :-) I'd
like to put my chapter just after the Quickstart. People are always
itching to dive right into a program rather than learn boring theory first.

Thanks,
Jason <Pato>