[Bf-committers] Blender UI Smoke Module Feature

pat.fuerst at gmail.com pat.fuerst at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 16:10:55 CEST 2014

Hey Paolo,

thanks for the reply.

Helped me a lot and I got it to work.

Hope I can share it soon.

Best Patrick

Gesendet von Windows Mail

Von: Paolo Acampora
Gesendet: ‎Mittwoch‎, ‎17‎. ‎September‎ ‎2014 ‎16‎:‎35
An: bf-committers at blender.org

Hi Patrick, the UI work is usually very feasible, it shouldn't take long.

From lower to upper level:

- you need some structs where you can store data, in blender this structs
are called DNA structs
<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Data_Structures/DNAStructs>.
The smoke should have DNAstructs of its own, you can add your fields there.
- you need to expose elements of the struct to the python API, this is done
through a part of blender called RNA
<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Architecture/RNA>, I'm
sure you'll figure out how DNA properties are converted to python
properties by studying the existing rna file for the smoke.
- once you can access your properties from the python console, you are
ready to use the user interface python functions to add UI elements. You
can right-clic on any UI elements and clic "show source" to have the UI
python script in the blender text editor. You can edit and run the UI from
the editor as well.

Hope it helps

Paolo Acampora, palucam at gmail.com