[Bf-committers] Numpy integration

Alex Fraser adfries at vpac.org
Tue Apr 24 00:52:24 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Campbell Barton" <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
>
> clarifications...
> - numpy would be a python module available but not loaded on startup
> [...]
> drawbacks
> - numpy took a long time to upgrade to python3 (~3 years after py3
> release), relying on numpy could be a drawback from upgrading python
> in the future, or moving to a different implementation (like pypy).

I'm mostly interested in it as a way to speed up access to pixel data. To get that, wouldn't we need to have a stronger dependency on it, so that Image.pixels can return a numpy array? Also, given my interest in speed, I'd like to keep the option to move to pypy open. Perhaps that conflicts with my first point ;)

Cheers,
Alex