[Bf-committers] Numpy integration

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 00:31:39 CEST 2012

Some further comments...

clarifications...
- numpy would be a python module available but not loaded on startup
by default (some 3rd party addons may load but we cant help that), to
clarify that this increases download size but not bloat blender.
- by stripping out distutils/tests/oldnumpy/*,c/*.h/__pycache__ -
numpy should add <2mb to download size on all platforms.

drawbacks
- numpy took a long time to upgrade to python3 (~3 years after py3
release), relying on numpy could be a drawback from upgrading python
in the future, or moving to a different implementation (like pypy).
... why I hesitate to depend on it, keeping core scripts using
mathutils (which IMHO isn't overly limiting).
- upgrading numpy will be work for platform maintainers.
- download size (don't have much to add, its a drawback but we could
cut download size back much more effectively other ways if we wanted -
sharing libs for blenderplayer & blender for eg).

(still +1 from me)

- Campbell