[Bf-committers] Patch: New functionality for background images

Bjørnar Hansen tilbjornar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 23:19:38 CET 2010

Hi all

As a project to get to know the sources of blender better, I've worked
on a patch which enhances the background image setting for the 3D
view.

What I've done is to replace the single BGpic in view3d with a
Listbase, so we can have several background images. I've also added a
flag to the BGpic struct, which saves what view orientations the image
should be displayed in.

I've put the patch on pasteall, here: http://www.pasteall.org/10417/diff
It's tested against rev. 26085.

As I'm a newbie when it comes to coding I could not make everything
work as it should.
Here's a list of questions / things to check for:

 * I tried to patch up read- and writefile.c, and reading and saving
files 'works for me'. I don't know if I'm doing it right.
 * The code for restoring bgpics from older files needs to be written
(in do_versions).
 * I added a remove_background_image operator, but it doesn't work.
 * The UI is rather ugly and could use some work. Maybe have the
settings box for each image collapse like for modifiers?
 * The images do not show in camera view
 * Not sure about the memory freeing code in space_view3d.c

- Bjørnar (anachron)