[Bf-committers] cmake vs scons

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 01:56:07 CET 2010

re: output try..
make -s
or...
make VERBOSE=0

Im not sure about static linking, though even on scons this is a pain,
I think we should move to including libs and start blender with a
shell script, also since some libraries make it fairly hard to static
link with them (no option to build static by default for eg.)
Nevertheless We can probably get cmake to link statically link libraries too.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Ken Hughes <khughes at pacific.edu> wrote:
> Since this discussion has come up, I've been trying cmake to see what it
> does.  I admit I used to use make for projects all the time, but as my
> code time has wained and I've only been working with Blender, I've been
> using scons exclusively and have forgotten how to do many thing using make.
>
> Having said that, I was able to get blender to build today using cmake.
> It has a little bit of a leaning curve, but then again so did scons when
> I started working with it.  One thing I haven't figured out yet is the
> equivalent of "scons BF_QUIET=0" for when I want to see exactly what
> make is telling the compiler to do.  I hit the gcc/openmp/fluid bug, but
> wasn't able to see exactly what was crashing.
>
> Another thing; for the linux release builds, lots of libraries have to
> be linked statically, which you normally don't need to do for your own
> personal build.  But reading through the cmake documentation and
> CMakeLists.txt, I can't see where we are supporting this.  If I'm wrong,
> then I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.
> Otherwise, it's a deal-breaker for me.
>
> Ken

- Campbell