[Bf-committers] cmake vs scons

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Fri Jan 15 01:17:30 CET 2010

Since this discussion has come up, I've been trying cmake to see what it
does.  I admit I used to use make for projects all the time, but as my
code time has wained and I've only been working with Blender, I've been
using scons exclusively and have forgotten how to do many thing using make.

Having said that, I was able to get blender to build today using cmake.
It has a little bit of a leaning curve, but then again so did scons when
I started working with it.  One thing I haven't figured out yet is the
equivalent of "scons BF_QUIET=0" for when I want to see exactly what
make is telling the compiler to do.  I hit the gcc/openmp/fluid bug, but
wasn't able to see exactly what was crashing.

Another thing; for the linux release builds, lots of libraries have to
be linked statically, which you normally don't need to do for your own
personal build.  But reading through the cmake documentation and
CMakeLists.txt, I can't see where we are supporting this.  If I'm wrong,
then I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.
Otherwise, it's a deal-breaker for me.

Ken