[Bf-committers] New Developer Meeting minutes

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Tue Jan 12 10:13:39 CET 2010

jmsoler at free.fr wrote:
> If cmake was so marvelous, it should work easily on any system
> but it don't without "serious search". That's what I experimented
> and others users that do not post on this list too ( LG knows that
> it's true).

I have found CMake to work without problems on all my systems, provided
it is configured correctly. Same can be said of Scons & basic make, if
you set up the initial configuration correctly - it "just works". If you
screw up or just hack together the project configuration - it'll be
problematic regardless of the tool you use.

> Another point : you are all saying that have to do  two things
> ( build a projet with Cmake and after load this project in
> Visual Studio to generate a solution) is faster and easier than
> just do one thing (build the sources with Scons), and I really do
> not unerstand that.

No, people are saying that they prefer *developing* with project files,
something only the CMake system performs at this time. When putting
together something new or debugging existing code, working in an IDE
(through the use of a project file) where one can jump to the definition
of a function or open a header file with a click becomes immensely useful.

 Whilst people keep saying (and have for a while) that Scons CAN make
project files and hence CMake is not required - they have yet to
actually do so. If Blender's Scons configuration actually did this -
there could be a proper debate about things. As it stands, CMake is
faster and provides the project files Scons does not.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt
Analyst Programmer