[Bf-committers] New Developer Meeting minutes

jmsoler at free.fr jmsoler at free.fr
Tue Jan 12 07:03:40 CET 2010

Selon Benjamin Tolputt <btolputt at internode.on.net>:

> Erwin Coumans wrote:
> > Have you seriously tried to find a solution?
> >
> > I'm surprised of so much resistance among the Blender developers
> > to such a nice build system as cmake.
>
> Agreed. There seems to be quite a few posts *looking for* problems with
> CMake... I have not found any problems with CMake (provided I've set the
> right options) and the capability of having a standard "make" along with
> XCode & MSVC projects (I compile on all three platforms, though only use
> Blender on Win/Mac) kind of tilts things in CMake's favour.
>
> That is not to say Scons is bad, I find it pretty good too - just not as
> easy to use with an IDE. I just don't understand the animosity there
> appears to be for CMake.

If cmake was so marvelous, it should work easily on any system
but it don't without "serious search". That's what I experimented
and others users that do not post on this list too ( LG knows that
it's true).

Another point : you are all saying that have to do  two things
( build a projet with Cmake and after load this project in
Visual Studio to generate a solution) is faster and easier than
just do one thing (build the sources with Scons), and I really do
not unerstand that.

My last message for the "resistance",
regards jms