[Bf-committers] BlenderPocket and iPhone/iTouch

Shaul Kedem shaul.kedem at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 02:28:50 CEST 2009

Hi,
 This is possible, and fairly comlicated.

 Blender uses C and C++ with python, iphone uses objective-c with
cocoa and such, all of the things said till now are correct, here are
some other hurdles :-) :

 1. python cannot be used according to Apple's SDK terms
 2. OpenGL behaves a bit differently (performance wise) between 3g and
3gs (and maybe ipod 2g and 3g, not sure)
 3. mac cocoa is not iphone cocoa (as said above) - not all of the
things in mac transfer into iphone
 4. CPU , RAM and HD are limited

 *However* its been done for win mobile, so it can be done for iphone,
objective-c can become a very thin shell, opengl es can be abstracted,
and the ctrl and shift buttons can easily be created as modal 2d
buttons on top of the 3d perspective, sending touch events as "ctrl"
and "shift" to the engine.

 I'd recommend you go through SIO2, it is a fine piece of dev with
roots in blender, maybe you can even use SIO2 as the "blender for
iphone", outputting SIO2 native format and converting it to blender on
the desktop, see here: http://sio2interactive.com/TECHNOLOGY.html

regards,
shul