[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [23434] trunk/blender: fly mode back as a modal operator view3d.fly

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 08:58:41 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The key shortcut used is F+(ANY Modifiers), so I didnt add in a
>> special test for Ctrl+Alt+F and F
>
> Sorry to rag on you some more Cam, but this is also something we
> should avoid. It happened a bit in 2.4 in ye olde space.c (not
> checking for modifiers in specific), and caused problems of its own,
> like people learning one hotkey combination (something like ctrl j)
> when the 'official' hotkey was something else (like alt j), then when
> we needed to add another modifier-version on that key (i.e. ctrl j),
> people got all confused thinking the tool didn't work any more, etc.
> etc.
>
> BTW, this isn't directed at fly mode, but I'd also like to recommend
> in general, that *not every tool needs to have a hotkey*. If it's
> something that's not frequently used, it's may be better to leave it
> blank - people who want to use it a lot can map their own hotkey
> easily, and it avoids covering the whole keyboard in less frequently
> used tools, using up the available keys so that when we want to add
> something later that strongly requires a key, there's no more room.
> Now that it's quick and easy to customise keys, I think it's better to
> err on the more conservative side for leaving stuff hotkey-less.
>
> cheers,
>
> Matt

Hi, all this went through my head too (alt+j, not checking modifiers
in space.c etc)

I used to use fly mode a lot, mainly because its the only way to zoom
forward which you need for navigating large scenes. (Move the point of
orbit forward rv3d->ofs, rather then looking closer at that point)

The only other way I found was to turn the view on its side. pan a
lot. rotate the view back.. OR select an object off in the distance
and hit Numpad Del.

So while I agree not every tool needs a shortcut, having a fast way to
move about the scene is important without having to select objects or
access the menu.