[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [23434] trunk/blender: fly mode back as a modal operator view3d.fly

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Sep 24 08:51:35 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The key shortcut used is F+(ANY Modifiers), so I didnt add in a
> special test for Ctrl+Alt+F and F

Sorry to rag on you some more Cam, but this is also something we
should avoid. It happened a bit in 2.4 in ye olde space.c (not
checking for modifiers in specific), and caused problems of its own,
like people learning one hotkey combination (something like ctrl j)
when the 'official' hotkey was something else (like alt j), then when
we needed to add another modifier-version on that key (i.e. ctrl j),
people got all confused thinking the tool didn't work any more, etc.
etc.

BTW, this isn't directed at fly mode, but I'd also like to recommend
in general, that *not every tool needs to have a hotkey*. If it's
something that's not frequently used, it's may be better to leave it
blank - people who want to use it a lot can map their own hotkey
easily, and it avoids covering the whole keyboard in less frequently
used tools, using up the available keys so that when we want to add
something later that strongly requires a key, there's no more room.
Now that it's quick and easy to customise keys, I think it's better to
err on the more conservative side for leaving stuff hotkey-less.

cheers,

Matt