[Bf-committers] Setting a default system scripts directory

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Mon Sep 21 19:54:01 CEST 2009

Hi,
r.hoelzemer at googlemail.com (2009-09-21 at 1938.02 +0200):
> 2009/9/21 GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com>:
>
> > Except that Blender mixes user data & config into the same file(s),
> > thus using XDG layout is highly debatable.
>
> You mean startup.blend? That would be userdata located in $XDG_DATA_HOME/blender

It is also config, or at least other apps consider paths or window
positioning to be config. ;]

> This would also be the place to search for user scripts/themes/icons/locales
> e.g.
> $XDG_DATA_HOME/blender/scripts
> $XDG_DATA_HOME/blender/themes
> $XDG_DATA_HOME/blender/icons
> $XDG_DATA_HOME/blender/locales

Locales should not be an user thing anyway.

I looked at the issue time ago, and discarded due to no clear data or
config separation, plus trying to find a solution that was cross
plataform and worked also for unpack and install. Ohh, and the new
problem of versioning, as with future versions many things that were
hardcoded into the binary or stored in the .blends (so protected by
SDNA) are separate.

That is why I wrote the spec & tried to call attention to it a couple
of times, months ago. But now, with tight releases ahead, it feels it
will be rushed and will have to be fixed down the road instead of
having a system that could work years like SDNA did with .blends.

GSR