[Bf-committers] Setting a default system scripts directory

Ralf Hölzemer r.hoelzemer at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 21 19:38:02 CEST 2009

2009/9/21 GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com>:

> Except that Blender mixes user data & config into the same file(s),
> thus using XDG layout is highly debatable.

You mean startup.blend? That would be userdata located in $XDG_DATA_HOME/blender
This would also be the place to search for user scripts/themes/icons/locales
e.g.
$XDG_DATA_HOME/blender/scripts
$XDG_DATA_HOME/blender/themes
$XDG_DATA_HOME/blender/icons
$XDG_DATA_HOME/blender/locales

bookmarks, file-history, languages, bpython/menus would go in
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/blender

release script/locale/theme/icon dirs would be searched in one of the
paths specified by $XDG_DATA_DIRS/blender
on my current Ubuntu installation, the search order would be:

/usr/share/gnome/blender
/usr/local/share/blender
/usr/share/blender

But i guess you are right. Whether this makes sense or not is debatable. :)