[Bf-committers] Setting a default system scripts directory

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Sat Sep 19 21:23:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM, GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> brecht at blender.org (2009-09-19 at 1239.52 +0200):
> [...]
>> On other operating systems we should also do a similar separation
>> between user config and application, using whatever folder is
>> appropriate. Not that I expect you to implement it, but may be nice to
>> write the functions in such a way that other operating systems can
>> plug in different paths.
>
> Did anybody read what I posted in spring?
>
> All of the above was covered. Versioning, load order, OS specific
> paths and even some security and multi user issues. And I was
> expecting comments to polish the parts of the non Unix OSes, but the
> only conclusion was that names should stop to be so cryptic.
>
> I started to implement the file access wrappers in my own time,
> slowly, as it was clear there was no real interest.

I don't remember reading this, but found it now. Seems it has a lot of
the same ideas and has good specs to follow.
http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/config-layout-and-file-handling-250.mbox.txt

I tend to not get involved with design discussions unless there is
also a developer writing the code for it. If you were intending to
write the code, I'm sorry for not providing feedback, this wasn't
really clear to me from that mail.

Brecht.