[Bf-committers] Meeting minutes, sunday sept 13, 2009

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Sep 14 20:28:38 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I could only shortly participate in the meetinig, had to leave to visit
the www.ibc.org convention for a speaker rehearsal session... today I
gave a talk about Blender and Open Content licensing issues. Which went
very well btw!

To continue with off topic: At IBC, the Durian guys Colin (director)
and David (concept art) and I spent at least 10 minutes staring at one
of these 4k screens there. It's really 4 times more work to get things
textured and modeled for this... oh my, what do we start! ;)

Yesterday developer meeting topics:

- There's a bug tracker for 2.5 topics open now.
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?group_id=9
In just 2 days, 47 reports in... don't encourage us too much please! :)

- Todo list in wiki: before submitting bugs, first read the todo list
in wiki to check if the issue has been reported already anyway.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/Todo

- Developers agreed on not moving issues to the "todo" tracker, unless
noted down in wiki as a todo item. This wiki section then can also
serve as an overview for (new) developers for fun targets to work on.

- Urgently needed still: roadmap plan for features and todos, also
related to the 2.5x series... Ton vowed to have this done this week!

- New Bmesh project (recoded mesh editing and data structures, also
allowing ngons) is progressing well. Developers of Bmesh agree on not
rushing it in right now, to give the 2.50 targets (bring back blender
to work) priority.

- Note: the svn trunk (the main tree) now has been fully replaced with
the 2.5 code. Thanks Martin Piorier for the work!

- Brecht will review the Google Summer of Code project for faster mesh
drawing (by Lukas S). Joe Eagar reviewed and OK'ed it.

- Nathan Letwory confirms the wrong meeting minute note about Collada
library increasing Blender download so much... in fact the increase is
barely noticable!

- Raytrace optimize project is nearly ready, but the developer prefers
to tweak things this month still.

- The other GSoC projects will discuss with their mentors roadmaps for
merging... or bounce it back to the mailing list for further reviews.

- UI decisions: we need formal method to get issues here moving on...
especially smaller decisions like color defaults. People would love to
have a standard theme and layout for video tutorials. For time being
we'll work with Matt and William to coordinate us here, and when needed
they should just decide.
Topics are always open to be posted on our bf-committers list.

- Dynamics: Janne Karhu (particle coder) proposes to unify the gravity
parameters among all physics systems. He prefers to add a common
gravity effector.

- Meeting ended with some confused remarks about how to name Blender
2.5 releases... is it going to be "2.50 beta", "2.51 beta" until some
2.6 final? Nobody knows yet, more light on this topic next week!

-Ton-