[Bf-committers] Languages other then python in Blender 2.5?

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Fri Feb 13 17:29:14 CET 2009

Campbell Barton wrote:
> Pros - (probably missed some since i don't use other scripting languages)
> * Makes developers of "insert-fav-language" happy/productive
> * Allows switching to Mono, Lua, Ruby or whatever - if for some reason
> we want to???
> * keeps the api generic so we dont slip into adding evil hacks for one language.
> * Some languages are better then python for certain tasks.

Yeah, I think making an attempt to make things more generic
and less python-specific would be great. One other pro
I would add to your list is that doing this could be
used to more easily keep blender working with the various
versions of python (i.e., the decision "Should we make
blender only work with python 3.0?" can be changed to "Should
we make blender work with python 3.0 for those that
want/need it, and still work with lesser versions of
python for those that want/need them?".

Cheers,
Chris