[Bf-committers] Render API Design

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Mon May 28 06:24:02 CEST 2007

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Moore wrote:
> The plan is to study these documents and study convertblender.c and
> try to put together a composite design which maximizes the ability to
> use existing designs and code. Making a design that looks very much
> like one of the existing 3d packages is a good idea because existing
> exporter code could be ported relatively easily in that case.

Congratulations on taking on this project.  It's fantastic to see some
progress being made.  I think you have a good summary of the existing
documents, and it's also excellent that you are inspecting existing
solutions.

I just have a small comment about starting with convertblender.c.  My
comments come from the background of working on the RenderMan / Aqsis
exporter in the Tuhopuu tree, which Paul Gregory (Aqsis project)
originally started.  I have CC'd this email to Paul in case he has any
additional comments.

My conclusion after working with the existing Yafray converter was that
it used an approach which was far too "low level" to be entirely
appropriate for RenderMan.  It was clear that Yafray benefited from the
pre-conversion of the Blender scene into VlakRen ("Render Faces"), which
are the low-level polygon form that the Blender renderer uses as input.
However, due to the nature of the RenderMan interface, we needed access
to much higher-level data.  Adding in this higher-level stuff to
convertblender.c was a terribly ugly hack at best.

My comments may not make much sense without a few examples, so here goes:

1. Subdivision surfaces.  RenderMan renderers have their own schemes for
dividing subdiv surfaces.  They typically do this in such a way that
subdiv surfaces are guaranteed to be *locally* subdivided to a level
which is appropriate for their on-screen size.  So, for example, if the
on-screen (/ "screen space") size of a subdiv surface increases, the
RenderMan renderer will increase the subdivision level accordingly.
This can lead to great improvements in rendering efficiency over just
using a single subdivision level, as Blender does.  So, having Blender
pre-calculate a single subdivision surface level (and outputting this as
VlakRen) is really a terrible solution from the RenderMan perspective.
What the RenderMan renderer needs is the original mesh data; it does far
better working with the original Blender mesh.

2. Curves.  Once again, RenderMan renderers *can* handle curves very
efficiently.  The performance hit of having these exported as polygons
is truly astronomical, even with a fairly naiive RiCurves implementation
like the one I wrote for Aqsis.

3. NURBS.  Basically the same as the above two examples.

The "take-home message" is that much of the efficiency of a RenderMan
renderer will be lost if only low-level, pre-diced polygon
representations of geometry are passed down the pipeline.  RenderMan
renderers, in general, will do a much better job if you give them the
highest possible level representation that is available in the RiSpec.

Jonathan Merritt.

!DSPAM:18,465a626336376195519088!