[Bf-committers] Render API Design

Aaron Moore two.a.ron at gmail.com
Mon May 28 03:00:30 CEST 2007

Hi Everyone,

The meeting this morning was very informative as to directing my
project. It seems to me that a good portion of the API design will be
creating a synthesis of the existing 3d package's APIs, the various
external renderers APIs, and Blender. Much of the work initially will
be evaluating the pros and cons of the existing material out there,
and building a design document for blender's Render API.

Here are the design documents, I have:

    3D PACKAGES APIS :

Softimage XSI API:
  http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/Custom_Renderers_%28XSISDK%29
3ds Max API:
  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=7481368
Maya API:
  http://www.autodesk.com/us/maya/docs/Maya85/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

    RENDERER APIS :

Renderman Interface Specification:
   https://renderman.pixar.com/products/rispec/rispec_pdf/RISpec3_2.pdf
Mental Ray:
   --- I wasn't able to find it, but I thought Ton mentioned he could
get it for me ---
Yafray:
   --- All I can find are old documents, one's that claim
documentation does exist, and documentation of the blender
integration. If someone knows where I could find more documentation,
that would be appreciated. ---

If there are any important documents which I have left out of this
list, a heads up would be much appreciated.

The plan is to study these documents and study convertblender.c and
try to put together a composite design which maximizes the ability to
use existing designs and code. Making a design that looks very much
like one of the existing 3d packages is a good idea because existing
exporter code could be ported relatively easily in that case.

I will post again when substantial design documentation of the API
exists on the wiki.

Anyone who has an interest in this is very welcome to give advice,
comments, feedback, etc. The API design should reflect the needs of
the blender community. Furthermore, I don't have experience writing
exporters for these various renderers, so talking with anyone who does
would be a big help to me.

Contact info:
email - two.a.ron at gmail.com
nick on #blendercodes - mosani