[Bf-committers] Ogre3D integration status & suggestion

Charlie C snailrose at bresnan.net
Thu Nov 9 21:24:02 CET 2006

Alexander Ewering wrote:

> Hi Erwin and snailrose,
>
> I wanted to ask what the status of the Ogre3D integration is, since
> not much
> has been heard from the project for about 5 months...
>
> And doing this, I'd also have a suggestion - which probably is pretty
> obvious - but anyway, maybe it hasn't been considered.
>
> As Blender's 3D view drawing is generally getting very old, and
> increasingly
> different to the actual drawing in the game engine, and as it's not
> feasible
> to maintain both systems seperately, I'd strongly suggest integrating
> Ogre3D
> in such a way (if possible) that it can use the same data structures
> as the
> current 3D view drawing, and thus also *replaces* the normal view
> drawing,
> NOT only in-game. This would make the most sense to me.
>
> Has this been considered?
>
> Thanks
>
> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
> | ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de

Hey Alexander,

The project is still in the works. I'm still a novas coder so it's taken
me some time to get the basics..
But five months... wow! I guess snail fits :)

A wile ago I experimented getting the plug-in on the modeling side with
little success.
I don't know anything about blender outside of the engine
When Ogre is embedded inside the blender viewport, you first need access
to GHOST innards to initialize the render system.
Then all Blender scene objects need to be converted to  the Ogre format.
After that It should just be a matter of updating frame by frame based
on input.
That is if no editing is needed, if not thats a whole other subject I
know nothing about

Thanks,
Charlie