[Verse-dev] Where to learn about Subdivision surface

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Thu Oct 16 16:45:07 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Stuart Axon <stuaxo2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is this the same thing used in verse? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdivision_surface

They're close, but not the full story. :|

I'm not aware of a good reference-type description of Verse's
subdivision surfaces, which is kind of silly. Perhaps Eskil has one?

Catmull-Clark surfaces don't have *creasing* support, which is in
Verse. With creases, you can express how smooth each corner and edge,
which means you are not limited to all-rounded objects.

I assume you've alread read the relevant part of the spec, here
<http://verse.blender.org/fileadmin/verse/spec/n-geometry.html>, for
(slightly) more on creasing.

This is a very unsatisfying answer, I know. Sorry.

Regards,