[Verse-dev] Update and verse related game development.

eskil at obsession.se eskil at obsession.se
Sun Sep 9 07:56:20 CEST 2007

Hi

Ive been very busy, doing mostly traveling. I want to tank every one
who made the Siggraph Verse BOF such a great success and also give a
special thanks to the Crystal space crew for the cool verse demo in
Lipzig. So for the last year or so I have been working on game
pipeline related technology using verse, you may have seen the demo I
did together with Sony at GDC, where we showed verse running on the
PS3 and the Collada exporter, and later I released the verse export
tool-kit. So while working in this I have also been working in secret
on a game using all this technology, and to use as a test platform for
all kinds of new ideas. Leipzig was the first time it was shown in
public, and you may have seen the screen shots at quelsolaar.com. The
entire pipeline for the game is built around verse, and I obviously
use verse enabled tools to create content for it. The engine can
connect to a verse server so that you can edit objects WYSIWYG in any
verse tool and see them in the game engine (much like you can in
Crystal space).

So a little about the game:

The idea is to create a story based game, but not one where the game
tells a story but rather on where the game together with the player
creates a story. Many games today say they are very dynamic and "its
different every time you play" but this is only in the micro
perspective, you still have missions, objectives, levels and a story
and cut scenes. So in a macro perspective it is very structured.

So what we are trying to do is a macro perspective that is much more
like an RTS game. In a RTS one of your resources may be attacked, and
then it is up to you to go and defend it or suffer the consequences.
Imagine building a game and balance it so that the CPU side sometimes
wins and sometimes looses battles, but neither side ever wins or
looses the war, then you have an infinite game that ebbs and flows. So
as a player, the adventure is created by engaging in the events going
on around the player. You are thrown straight in to the story, and
what you do will influence the story to come.

The engine has a very novel terrain technology that makes it possible
to modify the ground simply by pulling it, but rather then just a
height field you can also build cliffs, dungeons, houses and bridges
with it. It truly Is a sand box engine, but it is not designed to be a
sand box game for the players, but rather for the game itself. The
game can change the environment to constantly give players new things
to do. The goal is to make players so engaged in the progression of
events that they wont have time to monkey around. By using procedural
technology the game can generate dungeons, strong holds, turn cities
in to ruins, and create endless things for the player to explore.
Since we can generate as much content as we want, players don't have
to ever play the same thing twice. Old content will turn in to ruins
and give the world a sense of history. You may play one day and then
check in 2 days later only to find that the city you started building
has grown, a new dam has been built and that the enemy tower is in
ruins. It is almost like a soap opera that constantly moves forward.

Love is a networked game and you have around 400 players registered to
each server and maybe around 100 players online at any time. This
small scale game means that you can get to know most people and make a
real impact. Say you have a stronghold of the AI enemy that keeps
sending out enemies and it takes two full days until a player finally
manages to destroy it (possibly by a series of tasks like finding weak
spots, gathering right tools, keys and weapons), then the ruins of the
strong hold will be named after the player and other players who come
to this place will recognize the significance of the player. In a
sense we are building characters and story, not threw skill points and
written story but threw real game play.

The game play will actually be very simple and almost old School
comprising of first person action and adventuring. All players are on
the same side and play against AI enemies. Although one idea is lets
some players act as "Dungeon keepers". One of the key goals is to get
away form statistics menus and character building. The players should
rather focus on the environment as that is something that can be
enjoyed by other players too. While most MMO games are fairly Casual
in their play style they are very hardcore in the amount of time they
take to play. Love looks to reverse this and make it more skill based,
but something that can be enjoyed in short 15 minutes breaks for
people (like me, I'm sure you have noticed) who don't have a lot of
time to invest. In the game you don't hut for items, but rather makers
of items, once a player have gotten the Build-BFG-machine and placed
in a city, all players in the city can get a BFG. This communal
sharing is also strengthens the collaborative side of the game and
means that players who only play occasionally have access to the same
things as the people who invest more time. Also the player who can
bring in the cool stuff becomes more significant story wise.

The goal is not just to explore new game play, but also make some
radical changes to how games are developed. In fact this entire
project is kind of ridiculous in terms of development: I'm trying to
develop a AAA game (Who knows what AAA, means but its a FPS with
impressive graphics, and that usually does it), with no real staff,
in-house engine, with a full in-house pipeline (Modeling is done in
Loq Airou) and with a quicker turnaround compared to other games. So
how is this done? Most things are procedurally generated, but they are
augmented by hand edited details. These hand edited details are
automatically added to the the environment. So by modeling a tree and
giving it to the engine the engine can take that tree, randomize it
and merge it in to the environment to build entire forests form a
single tree mesh.

The current state of the development, is that many of the basic
systems are completed, like networking, user database, terrain
generation, terrain management, collision detection, animated time of
day, wind simulation, cloth simulation, Physics simulation, ray
casting and much more. Currently I'm working on the character
generation and animation system. It is fully procedural system car can
create all kinds of characters and creatures and animate them. Some of
the advantages of using a procedural IK character system is that
characters can interact better with the environment, like placing a
foot on terrain, grabbing things and transition between many different
movements. This system is roughly 60% complete, The goal is to begin a
closed on-line beta test late this year.

If you have questions about the game that is verse related, you may
ask them here, but please if you just want to ask something about the
game, try to keep the non verse related stuff off the list, Thanks

Cheers