[Verse-dev] preparing public verse usage testing with ED data

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Tue May 23 13:08:35 CEST 2006

hi,

we already did some preparations and plans for using the public verse
server, at uni-verse.pdc.kth.se , for publishing some Elephants Dream
data, back then in Stockholm during the review week. i'd like to
continue that now so that we can announce it for testing, like put a
news article on the blender.org site with a link to forum / irc channel
where people can give feedback / ask questions. i hope the timing is ok
for others if we do that e.g. next week or the week after that? (after
the ED on-line & summer-of-code crazes have settled down)

right now the Jorma bird i put there, and the Proog head that Eskil and
Emil prepared, seem to be on the server still  - good. we'll add at
least a telephone pole for the bird to have some environment, and other
ED things if we find something appropriate (ideas are welcome!). the
meshes show ok with the verse-blender testbuild that was published last
year, but those versions don't have texture support yet (the downloads
are at http://www.blender.org/cms/Verse-Blender.verse_blender.0.html). i
know Jiri merged his branch with current blender quite recently - dunno
if you could easily do it now/soon again, and should we then prepare a
new test release of that for this event? oh and the coordsyst bug would
be good to fix (verse-blender has diff. directions than other verse tools :)

other preparations on top of my head include server utilies - back at
KTH we talked about there beeing some sort of simple admin tool to it
(like a hidden web page) with at least a Reset button, that some of us
can press when someone has deleted all the data on the server, or
something. could that and/or other necessary things be done for this,
soonish?

what else should we do and take into consideration? i guess we all agree
with Ton (we just talked a bit on irc) that this is best presented as a
public testing project.

cheers,
~Toni