[Verse-dev] Verse on WLAN, some tests]

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Fri Jan 13 09:51:35 CET 2006

Hi.

Triggered by some comments from Marcus (Hoffmann, of IGD) yesterday
about bad results when running Verse over a wireless network ("WLAN"),
I've done some initial testing here at KTH.

My testing set-up was very simple: I just ran the server on my desktop
machine connected to the wired LAN, and connected to it from my laptop
using a WLAN card.

The initial test I've done is to simply upload a 3ds file of the Stan-
ford bunny to the server, from the desktop, and then connect with my
simple renderer on the laptop. The model is 20,248 polygons. The file
on disk is roughly 200 KB in size.

Results have been pretty good, the laptop downloads the model at about
half the speed of the desktop machine.

Total time from pressing "enter" in the shell and launching the render-
er, to it having connected and downloaded all[*] polygons, is ~5 seconds
according to my wrist watch. This of course includes the connection-
establishment delay, and so on. Trying to time just the geometry down-
load, from when the window opens to when all the polygons have down-
loaded is harder, but gives ~3 seconds.

Obviously, this doesn't prove that there are no problems when running
Verse over a WLAN, just that ... I got lucky, I guess.

I would very much like to know *what* is taking all that time that
Marcus reported, but don't know an obivous way of doing such a test.

Suggestions welcome.

Regards,

/Emil

[*] The renderer displays the total number of polygons rendered on-
     screen, so it's fairly easy to see when it reaches 20,248. It
     also stops increasing then, which is also a clear indicator.