[Verse-dev] Verse and Packet Loss

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Wed Feb 22 17:10:40 CET 2006

Hello.

I've spent quite some time lately testing Verse under degraded network
performance.

For now, I've tested only random packet loss, and random packet latency.
I don't have any large-scale public results just yet, but I'm sure I
will in the near future.

Anyway, I can say this, ainly to Eskil: when the network drops packets,
it becomes pretty hard to establish a Verse connection. Once a connec-
tion is up, it seems to work pretty well for my test case (uploading a
5120x5120 bitmap), but it's really hard to get there.

I'm also seeing plenty of "Aborting packet decode"-errors in the server
end, when trying to connect over a lossy net. These problems seem to
begin at around 8% of packet loss. At 20%, I've not been able to connect
at all. Needless to say, TCP does not seem to be hurt as much.

Perhaps something to investigate further?

Regards,