[Verse-dev] v_bignum.c

eskil at obsession.se eskil at obsession.se
Mon Apr 3 05:05:13 CEST 2006

Hi

> So, i`m thinking whether GNU MP could be used for faster bignum to
> speed-up RSA.

Yes its a very common question: why dont you use lib X?

> This indeed brings about the question whether the uni-verse licencing
> is compatible
> with Lesser GPL of GMP.

That's kind of the answer. We don't want to depend on any outside lib.
for legal
and for technical reasons. With an outside lib we constantly have to stay on
track with their developments and it makes it a lot harder to build and port
verse if it has dependensies. Way back in the days verse used to use glib, and
it caused a lot of problems. Not because glib is bad but rather because of
compiling, setting up projects versions and so on. Verse is also so small and
often doesn't need the big libs that are out there. Some have suggested big
number libs, or encryption, and in the worst cases network libs, but they are
all way too big and are often not exactly what we want.

Cheers