[Verse-dev] polygon_set_face subscription

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Wed Sep 28 16:07:45 CEST 2005

Peter Lundén wrote:
> In the specification nothing is sayed about polygon_set_face in the
> subscription graph. I guess its right place is under g_layer_subscribe,
> is that rigth?

Yes! Actually I think the spec uses some kind of shorthand, without
noting that it does. It says just "g_vertex_set" and "g_polygon_set"
(and delete).

It *means* g_vertex_set_X and g_polygon_set_X, i.e. there can be
a layer-type dependendant "tail" to the command name there, like so:

Geometry: X is chosen from { xyz, uint32, real } and
Polygon: X is chosen from { corner_uint32, corner_real, face_uint8,
face_uint32, face_real }.

The accompanying text also tries to convey this:

"Once subscribed to a layer, the client receives the layer's contents
and any changes done for as long as it is subscribed. Vertex data is
delivered using ether g_vertex_set_xyz_real32 or g_vertex_set_xyz_real64
depending on the requested precision. Polygon data is delivered using
one of the g_polygon_set commands, depending on the layer type."

I hope that clears it up. I'm not sure I want to smack all the layer
types into the ellipse in the graph, but perhaps I can indicate that
the names have been shortened. Thanks for pointing this out.

Regards,