[Verse-dev] A question about ping

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Wed Jan 12 14:39:43 CET 2005

Eskil,

The ping command currently seems to return a hardcoded string in
English from the server ("You have reached a Verse server, I'm
not home at the moment, but please leave a message.").

While (mildly) humorous, I don't think this is the best use of
the facility. What is the plan? I would prefer it if it simply
bounced the string supplied by the client back, as that would
make the string useful as payload for measuring network latency.

It was what I assumed from just reading the verse.h API, too.

If you feel there is a need to return a (hopefully slightly
more dynamic) string from the server, then perhaps we should
extend the API to include two strings? Like

void verse_send_ping(const char *address, const char *query,
			const char *response);

or something?

Ultimately, we should then define a number of queries, and
provide one (perhaps NULL, "", and/or "echo") that simply echo
whatever _response_ is provided by the client right back, rather
than replacing it.

I'm not sure what to put in the testing result notes for this
command, right now. It works, but seems rather silly.

What say you?

Regards,