[Verse-dev] Compiling verse list-nodes example on Linux

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Mon Aug 15 09:10:00 CEST 2005

Nigel Stewart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Fedora Core 4, gcc 4.0.1, verse-r5p0.zip
>
> The verse code builds fine, with some gcc
> warnings about signed/unsigned mismatches.
> (Attached here for informational purpose only)

Great!

> The example client is not built by the makefile,
> so I tried doing so as follows:
>
> $ gcc -Wall examples/list-nodes.c -I./ -L./ -lverse
> examples/list-nodes.c: In function 'callback_accept_connect':
> examples/list-nodes.c:18: warning: implicit declaration of function
> 'verse_send_node_list'
> /tmp/ccEpw4hl.o(.text+0x49): In function `callback_accept_connect':
> list-nodes.c: undefined reference to `verse_send_node_list'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> The symbol verse_send_node_list appears to be stale,
> it doesn't appear in the spec either:
> http://blender.org/modules/verse/verse-spec/index.html
>
> The migration notes from r4 to r5 mention
> verse_send_node_list as being changed to
> verse_send_index_subscribe, but this does
> not seem to be the solution either.
[...]

Thanks a lot! I had overlooked the examples/ directory all
together, I'm afraid. :( The problem is indeed the use of the
obsoleted node listing function, the proper command to send
is now node_index_subscribe. The CVS has been updated.

The CVS version builds fine for me, with a command like so:

gcc -I.. -L.. -o list-nodes list-nodes.c -lverse

I'm not sure if this is serious enough of an error that we should do a
r5p1 patch release. Eskil?

Thanks for the heads-up, and sorry for the confusion.

Regards,