[Verse-dev] using material node for audio

Eskil Steenberg eskil at obsession.se
Wed Apr 27 16:45:16 CEST 2005

Hi

> In the general case you migth have many more coefficients. I can think
> of  example where you need  3x32 channels for each material,. This
> example includes absorption, diffuce reflections and transmission
> coefficient each with 32 frequency bands, that is 96 channels. We migth
> not use that high resulotion today but I will definitly need 3x10
> channels.

having 32 or 96 output is no problem, but you wont have separate for
diffusion, reflection and abssorbtion that is what the tree is for. The
graph can coumput how a sound from a specific angle reflected and absorbed
by the surface. look in to the differet types of fragemst and you will
find that there are allready every parameter you should need.

You talk about how many bands are needed, and that worrys me some what.
You should be able to define a material with as many or few bands as you
want. the audio rendering application should just interpolate between the
values of different bands to get what ever is between. Can any one provide
any graphs of what this data looks like? it would be interestion in order
to figuer out how to interpolate. with interpolation my gut feeling tells
me you are not going to be able to hear 32 bands.

> There is an alternative solution using the geometry fragment and storing
> the coefficients in, let say in the red layer in a geometry node and
> having one output fragment for each type of property you need to
> represent. We then need to have output types defined for the different
> properties, as we know today we need absorption, diffuce reflections and
> transmission. This gives us a per object material represantation.

First of all there is no susc thing as "red" layers there are only layes
and if they are used for colors or audio or anythig else doesnt matter.
All this can already be fone with a material graph since they can take in
data form a
geometry layer so that isnt a problem. You will still need to have
multiple outputs for different bands.

I realy recomend that you look in to more deaply the way colors of
materials are handled in verse, i think it will be very close to what you
are looking for.