[Verse-dev] questions about object links (revised)

Eskil Steenberg eskil at obsession.se
Thu Apr 21 00:41:46 CEST 2005

> I just read my last posting and noticed that the last part was very
> confused. This is what I meant:
>
> [Scenario]
> step 1. An object node is created.
> step 2. A Geometry node is created.
> step 3. A link is created from the object node to the geometry node.
> step 4. The geometry node is deleted.
>
> [Question]
> Is the link in the object node deleted too as a result of step 4 above?

The link still exist and should not be changed. its just that the link is
broken since there is no node with the id being pointed to. So in a way
you could say that the link is deleted since it doesnt mean anything. BUT,
the link still exists because if a node would be created and that node has
the id of the link, the link gets fixed and is no longer broken. This
means you can not delete a link localy just because it doesnt point to
anything. (this goes for all links in verse: nodes, vertex references,
bones, material fragments curves and so on...)

To explain it a little more in detail, the reason for this is out of order
networking (yeah, i know... like most strange thing in verse...). If we
look at the four stages you mentione above they can be sent out of order.
step 1, must come before step 3 (you cant set a link untill you have
created a linking nodes, and you cant subscribe to know about a link until
you have a node to subscribe to.). step 2 must not come before step 4 (you
cant destroy a node, untill you created it, you can how ever get a node
destry comand to a non existing node, and then create a new node... but
thats an other issiue)

So imagine some onegeting your steps in this order: 1, 3, 2, and 4. then
in between step 3 and 2 the link would be broken, but you cant destroy it
because then it must be stored so that it works once 2 arives.

Cheers

Good to see you on the list (Pontus is a good friend of mine)