[Verse-dev] Building Verse on Win32 (gcc)

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Wed Apr 20 09:32:08 CEST 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:17:24 +0800
TJay <tjay.dreaming at gmail.com> wrote:

> (Sorry about that Kaos. Accidentally sent the reply directly to your
> email..)
>
> Any functions which I use in my app are "undefined". I only link with
> verse, so I don't think there's any re-ordering that I can do.
>
> I tried compiling loq and enough. Had some weird stuff with types
> being defined in both "st_types.h" and "verse.h". Hacked around a bit.

Yeah, those are plenty annoying. It seems the compiler Eskil uses (MS
VC++) doesn't care about redefinitions of types, as long as they are
compatible. I have changed around the order of the inclusions locally,
to get around the problem (one of the files tests for a #defined symbol
before (re)defining the types, but the other one does not).

> Then got another bunch of weird stuff. Couldn't manage to hack all of
> them away... I didn't use your .dev files though. Will try them
> tomorrow, when my headache has subsided x_x

Okay. :)

> Maybe the versions don't tally. I'm using the stuff that's been
> officially released. Verse release 4 patch 1. No idea about Loq and
> the others.

As I said last night, please try the R5 branch.

I just gave it another try on my Win box here at work, and after fixing
a trivial Makefile issue (more quoting, since current dir on Win32 had
spaces in it) it built the core just fine.

My libverse.a is around 800 KB in size, and since I also get a working
verse.exe (the server), I know it works to link programs against it.

Do you get a verse.exe from running "make" in the Verse directory?

I also checked out the verse-tests module from CVS, and built the
little "geotest" geometry test application successfully after commenting
out some excessive dependencies in the Makefile there.

So, from my perspective, at least the R5 branch seems in pretty good
shape on Win32 with Cygwin. Please try it, and get back to the list!

Regards,