[Verse-dev] Verse R4pre

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Fri Sep 17 11:04:14 CEST 2004

Hi all,

> I have nearly finished my application (a 3d scene viewer) now, and
> because there are no apps around that produce data to view, i had to
> write a generator program too (pusher).
> I know connector and loq airou exist, but to be honest, they're very
> difficult to use and for me are completely useless (e.g. i want i font
> that is readable not just looking cool).

I thought to let you all know that since last weekend I've started adding
Verse support to Blender. I'm slowly making progress, and learning how to
use the protocal, but yesterday I managed to create an object in Blender,
which shows fine in Loq Airou. The support is not really useable yet, as
there is hardly any interactivity, but that I should be able to solve in
the coming days and possibly next week.

I'm still using Verse code that's in CVS, though, but I reckon that moving
to the eventual R4 shouldn't be a problem.

The idea is that I maintain some kind of documentation, which I'll do over
here: http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderdev/VerseIntegration ,
but as of this writing the page is quite uninformative. There is a patch
for current Blender CVS, though (latest commit is in patch name). If you
look at the post you'll see that setting up faces is totally wrong, just
see this as a small proof-of-concept.

Next up is being able to edit 'Verse objects' in Blender, and refactoring
it into better source structure. For now I'll stick with gum-techniques.

I'll keep you all posted with the progress.

/Nathan Letwory