[Verse-dev] geometry organisation

Marcus Hoffmann Marcus.Hoffmann at igd.fhg.de
Wed Sep 8 10:43:32 CEST 2004

Hi,

This is mainly a question to exkil.
I need some Information how do you think about the geometry structures in
verse.
Basicly we have a vertexlist, and a polygonlist that references the
vertexlist. So far ok. But we don't have any information about what is a
mesh and where does the next one start. That would really be important to
know for any compression algorithm. Could i assume that one geometry node
contains one mesh, or at least one polygon layer is one mesh? If not its
really hard to figure out where a geometry starts and where it ends...! In
Verse it's not really defined because you wanted an open system - thats good
in most cases - but for that special one it is deadly.
Maybe you could add some guide (or some kind of rules) in the spec how to
create a mesh and how not. At the moment i have no idea how to solve this...
maybe we can find a way at least within the uni-verse project.

greets

Marcus Hoffmann
Dipl. Ing. for Media Technology
Fraunhofer Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung (F-IGD)
Dep. Animation and Image Communication (A3)
Fraunhoferstr. 5
D-64283 Darmstadt, Germany
Fon: +49 (0)6151 / 155-639
Mail: marcus.hoffmann at igd.fhg.de