[Verse-dev] Verse r4, problems with missing geometry data, reson found

Thorsten Jordan Thorsten_Jordan at gmx.de
Sat Oct 23 20:57:20 CEST 2004

Emil Brink schrieb:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:27:13 +0200
>
> [missing data]
>
>>>Do you terminate your application immediately once
>>>all data is sent,
>>>without also subscribing to the layers to keep track of what data has
>>>been received by the host?
>>
>>Brecht suggested doing that. I made a quick fix by not letting the
>>pusher terminate the connection. it just sits forever calling
>>callback_update, so this shouldn't be the problem.
i have added a quick hack to my pusher:
when all data was sent i just resent it. that means with brute force
resend all geometry layers :-)
THAT fixes the bunny, however i have to do it *10* times until the bunny
seems ok.
That may also be the reason for the missing texture coordinates with
ppctest2, there are still no textures on the objects, but the scene
looks already different. i just resent geometry, not bitmaps.

I didn't expect that UDP packets are lost even on local transfer!

This seems to be the central problem! Do you know how much complexity is
added to the pusher if i want to get sure every bit is sent correctly?!

But i guess i'll have to do so, since you won't go from UDP to TCP. I
would strongly recommend using TCP. If the transmission is so bad that
packets get lost often (the only case where TCP is slower than UDP) the
connection is too slow/bad for 3d data transfer anyway, since 3d data
takes much space.

--
Greetings, Thorsten