[Verse-dev] profiling the server

Brecht Van Lommel blendix at pandora.be
Fri Oct 15 12:42:37 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 19:45, Eskil Steenberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> >Hey all,
> >
> >I profiled the server with gprof, to learn some more about it's
> >performance. I uploaded a bitmap to the server (and downloaded as well,
> >since the app also subscribes to the layers). Attached is the most
> >important part of output, with some interesting results.
> >

> Yes indeed!
>
> Well the problem with clearing the history is sort of known. I must say
> i didnt know it was that big of a problem i must say. I had sort of
> decided not to do anything about it right now since every one ismore
> interested in geting verse stabile then fast. But your figures show that
> maybe i should. Whit the blender confrerance next week i dont think we
> will be able to get it in by then. I realy want R4 to be final by then,
> it has taken too long.

Agreed, stability is more important. The current speed is good enough
for the stuff I'm working with now. Just letting you know.

> Question: since you are testing with bitmaps, would you be interested in
> trying to see how much faster it would be with 8*8 tiles?

I'd be glad to test. Bigger tiles would be good.

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 21:45, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> Brecht Van Lommel schrieb:
> > Hey all,
> >

> > 'callback_send_b_layer_create' is also taking a suspiciously long time.
> > Using calloc instead of malloc (and a for loop) lets this function's
> > executing time drop from 0.26 to 0.00 in the profile's output. This is
> > not portable for floats though, since zero bytes don't necessarily mean
> > a 0.0 float value.
> they do. IEEE standard says all bytes zero means 0.0 for float, double
> and long double

Ok. My C book told me otherwise, but after some googling it seems like this
is really a theoretical problem.

Cheers,
Brecht.