[Verse-dev] host_id

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Mon Oct 4 19:11:34 CEST 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:04:16 +0200
Emil Brink <emil at obsession.se> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 18:54:09 +0200
> Thorsten Jordan <Thorsten_Jordan at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > according the port from verse3 to verse4 - what exactly is the host id?
> > A signle uint8 or an c-string?!
>
> It is neither. It's a key to a block of data that identifies the host; it's
> (more or less, I didn't do the implementation) an encryption key.

Heh. There's me, writing e-mail after the working day has ended. The above
is garbled, it should of course have read "a pointer to [...]", and nothing
else. Sorry.

> It should be const-declared, applications never touch it but may want to
> store it for future reference.

Also, right after sending the previous mail I realized that the *size* of the
block might be an interesting parameter when it comes to storing it...

Reading verse.h doesn't pop up anything *obvious*, and in any case I think
the length, unless guaranteed to not change for A Very Long Time, should be
passed to the application somehow, for binary compatibility reasons.

There, I hope I made fewer silly mistakes this time. *Reads through the
above again*. Yeah, good enough.

Regards.