[Verse-dev] Simple Question

Eskil Steenberg eskil at obsession.se
Thu Nov 4 00:32:09 CET 2004

Hi!

> It is, more or less. I'm not aware of a strict definition of these things,
> that is something Eskil will have to provide me input on for the spec.
> I believe vertex and polygon IDs can be freely picked by clients up to a
> limit, which (after reading the code) seems to be 256 vertices/polygons. I
> do not know the status of this constant, if it is an implementation detail
> or official standard. Thus, I need Eskil's input (and he's in Japan for
> two more weeks).

I think this constant should be higher, and maybe a bit more complex, like
saying something like no more the 65000 "holes". This is a very tricky one
but it should be set to something higher for now. Im not sure there should
be a strict limit in the spec. The true definition should be something
like: "ids are client alocated from zero and up, if the client abuses the
id allocation the host may deny the client".

I can think of many reasons why the simple 256 limit would break. (if you
are having problems with lost geometry data try setting this to ahigher
value)

> Link IDs are picked by the host, clients should use ~0 to request a new
> link to be allocated, or use a value previously returned by the host to
> refer to that link (to e.g. unset a link, use its ID and set the name to
> empty).

For all other ids the rule is: if a used id is set the data is over
written. when over written, if any data under the id changes type all
subscriptions to that data is deleted. (you need to re subscribe to a
layer that changes type)

If any id that isnt used by the server will create new data, in this case
the server will choose the id. The server will never choose id -1, so this
id can be considerd "safe" to always create and never over write.

Hosts should never accept the change of a node type.

Clients must _allways_ accept the change of a node type. the change of a
node type clears the node form all data, including name and tag data that
is shared among all node types.

Cheers