[Verse-dev] Bitmap layer ids

Thorsten Jordan verse-dev@blender.org
Mon Aug 16 18:04:18 CEST 2004

Marcus Hoffmann wrote:
> Eskil wrote:
>

>>This is fully legal to do, and it means you want to create a layer and
>>then rename it. If the user actually wanted to create two layers he or
>>she used the api in the wrong way. I would argue that in this case Verse
>>knows very well what it is doing because it is likely only to send the
>>later call in order to optimize the network usage since it knows that
>>the first will be over written by the second.
[...]

> What I'm going to do now (in my current version of the server) is to ignore
> his IDs and give him new ones that are unique in my verse world. If I would
> look for existing IDs if a create command arrives this would end up in
> overwriting another geomtry!!
> So this is really a thing that has to be discussed i think!

That is exactly what i think.

For me, sending a second create for a node to update it, doesn't make
any sense, because there are no values that can be changed/updated by
the second create command - only type and owner. And changing that
information is not a clean solution, especially for the type!
Would it be that big change to just add a change/set command, not only
for creating but also for bones? It is a lot easier if a create just
means create...

I have more questions about fragments. I have to implement a viewer that
interpretes the fragment tree and tries to display the closest
approximation of the given material (and this on a very limited
environment - the PocketPC/klimt ca do ONE texture and ONE color at most).

The spec says for the geometry fragment "There is no node reference in
this fragment; this is because the layers being referenced are always
(implicitly) taken to be in the current object's geometry node"
But an object code can have links to more than one geometry node...

Next one: for the output fragment "string type; What type of surface
property is described by this output fragment. Very often, this will be
set to "color" which is the standard name for fragments that generate
surface color."
Very often? what else for a type can the user choose here?

Why are layer references in fragments realized with strings and not with
  layer IDs?

--
Greetings, Thorsten