[Verse-dev] questions about the verse.h interface

Eskil Steenberg verse-dev@blender.org
Sun Aug 15 02:37:34 CEST 2004

Thorsten Jordan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it's me again with more questions.

Sure i will try to fill in the blanks form Emils answers. Thees are some
really good questions.

> The verse_command_o_transform_unsubscribe command takes a node_id and
> a VNRealFormat type argument. Why do we need an type for UNsubscribe?
> The type is already known.

As Emil said it is known to you not verse.

This is not a clear case. As verse us built now you can subscribe to
both (the same goes for precision in the geometry node). then you need
to have the ability to have a type on the un subscribe command too.

We could change this, but im not sure it it is the right thing to do,
its not a very useful feature, but on the other hand it doesnt cost
anything.

Just so you know, You cant have the ability to subscribe to both and
remove the type from the unsubscribe command. Consider if we wanted to
switch form subscribing form one to the other precision. We would then
first send a command to unsubscribe to the current subscription and then
subscribe to the new one. but the two commands may come in the wrong
order, resulting in first subscribing to both then remove the
subscription of both.

> There is a command to set a bone, and one to destroy it, but how can
> users change bone values (position and rotation)?

you simply set it again.

> The use of the target_id parameter in verse_send_o_link_set is unclear
> to me, the spec doesn't help me either.

Ah, it is needed to clarify if you refer to a specific sub part of an
object. if you have multiple materials on one geometry node or an object
is under an other objects transformation of a specific bone.

I will talk to Emil about this and we will work on clarifying the spec.

Cheers