[Verse-dev] Bitmap layer ids

Eskil Steenberg verse-dev@blender.org
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:38:30 +0200

Hi

Im back form Siggraph!

> ok, i have understand. Although the workaround helps here, this IMHO
> not a clean solution...

This is not a bug its a feature.... But i understand that it may not be
obvious.

It has to be that way. you may actually want to first create a layer and
then rename it. Since verse doesnt store data it doesnt know what ids
are confirmed or not, thats something you have to keep track of.
(remember verse.h is designed to be low level, in higher level APIs like
Enough you can have functions like e_nsg_find_empty_vertex_slot(ENode
*node, uint start); to solve the problem).

if you call thees two commands:

verse_send_g_layer_create(node_id, 2, "my_layer", VN_G_LAYER_VERTEX_XYZ,
0, 0);
verse_send_g_layer_create(node_id, 2, "others_layer",
VN_G_LAYER_VERTEX_XYZ, 0, 0);

This is fully legal to do, and it means you want to create a layer and
then rename it. If the user actually wanted to create two layers he or
she used the api in the wrong way. I would argue that in this case Verse
knows very well what it is doing because it is likely only to send the
later call in order to optimize the network usage since it knows that
the first will be over written by the second.